Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

The connection between Boolean Algebra and Number Theory.

I generalized the idea yesterday night by considering the multi-set

The connection between Boolean Algebra and Number Theory.

Represent a natural number to multi-set

Consider a m∈N m=p1i1p2i2p3i3...pnin, and define D be the divisor set of m.

D:={d∈N,d|m}

Define S:={p1,...p1,p2,...p2,...,pn,...,pn}, S is a multi-set.

Then we have (D,|,gcd,lcm)≅(P(S),⊆,∩,∪)

we need observe that for |S|=N,|P(S)|≠2N for multi-set

for example, S={a,a,b} , we can consider (ia,ib),ia∈{0,1,2},ib∈{0,1}

Thus |P(S)|=2×3=6≠8

Another thing we need to observe is {a,a,a}∩{a,a}={a,a}{a,a,a}∪{a,a}={a,a}

because of A∩B=A⇔A⊆B⇔A∪B=B

by the way, I think the ''disjoint union'', I mean, {a,b}⊔{b,c}={a,b,b,c}

is a representation of ab×bc

The isomorphism f:D→P(S) is given by f(1)=∅,f(a2)={a,a},f(ab)={a,b}...

The representation of partial order

we have d1|d2⇔f(d1)⊆f(d2), f(gcd(a,b))=f(a)∩f(b),f(lcm(a,b))=f(a)∪f(b)

The duality is given by ma,

And we have De Morgan Law (amazing)

(A∩B)c=Ac∪Bc↔mgcd(a,b)=lcm(ma,mb)

(A∪B)c=Ac∩Bc↔mlcm(a,b)=gcd(ma,mb)

Absorb Law

A∩(A∪B)=A,A∪(A∩B)=A↔gcd(a,lcm(a,b))=a,lcm(a,gcd(a,b))=a

Associative Law

(A∩B)∩C=A∩(B∩C),(A∪B)∪C=A∪(B∪C)

gcd(gcd(a,b),c)=gcd(a,gcd(b,c))=gcd(a,b,c),lcm(lcm(a,b),c)=lcm(a,lcm(b,c))=lcm(a,b,c)

Distributive Law

A∩(B∪C)=(A∩B)∪(A∩C),A∪(B∩C)=(A∪B)∩(A∪C)

gcd(a,lcm(b,c))=lcm(gcd(a,b),gcd(a,c)),lcm(a,gcd(b,c))=gcd(lcm(a,b),lcm(a,c))

One interesting application for the distributive law is as follow

Consider this question, if gcd(a,b)=1, how could I prove that

Proof.

Observe that gcd(a,b)=1⇔lcm(a,b)=ab

So gcd(a+b,ab)=gcd(a+b,lcm(a,b))=lcm(gcd(a+b,a),gcd(a+b,b))( by the distributive law)

And we know that gcd(a+b,a)=gcd(a+b,b)=gcd(a,b)=1

Because a+bd,ad∈N⇔ad,bd∈N

So we have lcm(gcd(a+b,a),gcd(a+b,b))=lcm(1,1)=1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts