Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Continous function, a interesting view

We are familiar with the continuous function on R. At the beginning, I think it is trivial, But obviously, it is not.

For example, consider the algebraic structure of C,

We can define (f+g)(x)=f(x)+g(x),(fg)(x)=f(x)g(x),(λf)(x)=λf(x)

This shows that C is an Algebra, I mean both linear space and ring.

And actually, a(f):=f(a) is an Algebra homomorphism!

a(f):C→R a(f+g):=(f+g)(a)=f(a)+g(a)=a(f)+a(g)

a(fg)=fg(a)=f(a)g(a)=a(f)a(g)

a(λf)=λf(a)=λa(f)

By the way, the limit is also an Algebra homomorphism for convergence sequence.

And consider a∈R, all the f∈C,a(f):=f(a)=0 give an idea I of C

CI≅R by the first isomorphism theorem.

The topological structure is also interesting,

It is a complete metric space by considering (C[a,b],d∞)

d∞(f,g)=sup∥f(x)−g(x)∥,x∈[a,b]

So consider a Cauchy sequence, ∀ϵ>0,∃N,∀n,m>N,sup∥fn(x)−fm(x)∥≤ϵ

We need to prove that it is convergence.

Consider sup∥f(x)−fn(x)∥=sup∥f(x)−f(x−δ)+f(x−δ)−fn(x−δ)+fn(x−δ)−fn(x)∥

sup∥f(x)−f(x−δ)+f(x−δ)−fn(x−δ)+fn(x−δ)−fn(x)∥≤sup∥f(x)−f(x−δ)∥+sup∥f(x−δ)−fn(x−δ)∥+sup∥fn(x−δ)−fn(x)∥≤ϵ3+ϵ3+ϵ3=ϵ

And we can consider a new view for ∫abf(x)dx

It is a linear continuous functional !,(I think it belongs to the dual space of C)

To see it is continuous, we can consider that d∞(f,g)≤δ

∫abf(x)−g(x)dx≤∫ab|f(x)−g(x)|dx≤∫abδdx=δ(b−a)

So ∀ϵ>0,∃δ=ϵb−a,d∞(f,g)≤δ⇒∫abf(x)−g(x)dx≤ϵ

So because of ∫abf(x)dx is continuous, limn→∞∫abfn(x)dx=∫abf(x)dx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts