Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Sigma Algebra, Measure and Normed Ring

Let (X,Σ,μ) be a measurable space. We require that μ<∞.

We know that the sigma algebra (Σ,Δ,∩) is a Boolean ring, hence a F2 algebra. Here AΔB:=(A∪B)−(A∩B)​​ is the symmetric difference.

Easy to see that (Σ,d) with d(A,B)=μ(AΔB) is a pseudometric.

Proposition.

Proposition. The "kernel" of μ, I={A∈Σ:μ(A)=0}, is an ideal of (Σ,Δ,∩).

Proof. ∀A,B∈I,0≤μ(AΔB)≤μ(A)+μ(B)=0,0≤μ(A∩B)≤μ(A)=0. ◻.

Let us consider the quotient ring π:Σ→Σ/I, and define μ′:Σ/I→R+∪{∞} to be μ′(π[A])=μ(A).

This is well-defined, since if π(A)=π(B), then A=BΔC,C∈I. This implies AΔC=(BΔC)ΔC=B, and

(1)μ(A)=μ(BΔC)≤μ(B)+μ(C)=μ(B),

and

(2)μ(B)=μ(AΔC)≤μ(A)+μ(C)=μ(A).

Hence μ(A)≤μ(B)≤μ(A), thus μ(A)=μ(B).

Proposition. The function d(π[A],π[B]):=μ′(π[AΔB]) is a metric on Σ/I.

Proof. Since 0≤μ<∞, then 0≤μ′<∞.

μ′(π[A])=μ(A)=0⟺A∈I by definition of I,

hence d(π[A],π[B])=0⟺μ′(π[AΔB])=0⟺μ(AΔB)=0⟺AΔB∈I⟺π[A]=π[B].

It is easy to see that d is symmetric.

For the triangle inequality, μ′(π[AΔC])=μ((AΔB)Δ(BΔC))≤μ(AΔB)+μ(BΔC)=μ′(π[AΔB])+μ′(π[BΔC]). ◻

Hence we get a metric space (Σ/I,d). If the "kernel" of μ is {∅}, then what we get is (Σ,d).

For example, let X be a finite set and Σ:=2X,μ(A):=|A|. Define d(A,B):=|AΔB|.

Proposition. (2X,|⋅|) is a normed ring.

Proof. Obviously |A|=0⟺A=∅, −A=A⟹|−A|=|A|,|AΔB|≤|A|+|B|,|A∩B|≤|A||B|.

We could generalize it as follows.

Proposition. (Σ,μ) is a normed ring iff ∀A≠∅,1≤μ(A)<∞.

Proof.

If ∀A≠∅,μ(A)≥1.μ−1(0)={∅}, so μ(A)=0⟺A=∅.

Then we only need to check that |fg|≤|f||g|.

If ∀A≠∅,μ(A)≥1, then μ(A∩B)≤μ(A)≤μ(A)μ(B).

If there exists a set A≠∅ such that μ(A)<1, then μ(A)=μ(A∩A)>μ(A)μ(A), hence it is not a normed algebra. ◻

Corollary. If inf{μ(A):A∈Σ−{∅}} exists and not equal to zero, denote it as α−1, then (Σ,αμ) is a normed algebra.

There are still some problems I need to think about, such as the relationships between completeness, connectedness, compactness, and the measurable space.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts