Blog Archive

Friday, July 25, 2025

Integral Closure as a Filtered Colimit and Its Applications

Let A⊂C be a commutative ring extension, the integral closure of A in C, denoted as B. We would like to define B as a small filtered colimit in Ring, and as a corollary, we will get the following fact:

S−1B is the integral closure of S−1A in S−1C

This follows from S−1A⊗− is the left adjoint functor, hence preserves colimits. Let G be a finite group and consider G-AlgA:=Func(B(G),AlgA). Now let B be a G-algebra (G acts on C via A-algebra automorphisms). Then we have:

BG is the integral closure of A in CG

This follows from BG is the limit of B as a G-algebra (or if you want, you could write it as the equalizer of all the g:B→B) and there is a natural isomorphism exchanging filtered colimits and finite limits:

lim→i∈I⁡lim←j∈J⁡F(i,j)≅lim←j∈J⁡lim→i∈I⁡F(i,j)

Here I is the filtered category and J is the small category.

Proposition. Let A⊂C be a ring extension, the integral closure of A in C, denoted as B, then B is a small filtered colimit.

Let us build the filtered system in Ring as follows: Let I be the following filtered category, the objects are all the E such that A⊂E⊂C and E is a finitely generated A-module.

Remark. E is finite generated A-module implies that E⊂B.

The morphisms are inclusion maps. Let F:I↪Ring be the embedding functor. It is easy to see that I is a small filtered category.

Now we prove that B is the colimit of F, i.e.,

lim→i∈I⁡F(i)=B

Let D be an A-algebra and (φE)E∈Ob(I) be the natural transformation(the cocone) from F to Δ(D). Define ψ:B→D by ψ(x)=φE(x) if x∈E. We always could find such E, for example, let E=A[x]. This is well-defined since (φE)E∈Ob(I) is compatible. Also, this is a ring homomorphism since for x,y∈B, let E=A[x,y], then φE is a ring homomorphism. This morphism is unique, since if there is another f:B such that f|E=φE, we have f=ψ. Hence we prove that lim→i∈I⁡F(i)=B. ◻

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts