Blog Archive

Sunday, June 22, 2025

From Confusion to Clarity: Understanding Normal Operators Through Gelfand Duality

When I was learning Linear Algebra, I felt really confused by the definition of normal operators.

Let V be a vector space, with an inner product ⟨⋅,⋅⟩. We say T:V→V is normal if TT∗=T∗T.

Why do we define it this way? What is the deep structure underlying it?

After I learned some abstract algebra, I know this tells us that the smallest algebra containing T is a commutative ring.

But I still do not get the point. Lots of proofs in linear algebra around normal operators are long and dirty. I do not like that kind of math.

Another story is, when I was a first year student, my tutor Thomas suggested me to attend Eva's talk. He told me that I would find what I wanted since I had observed a kind of Algebra-Geometry Duality in operator theory. That talk was about Gelfand Duality.

Gelfand Duality

image-20250622015800826

We only need to use the really basic idea of Gelfand Duality in this essay.

Definition. Let F be a field and A be a finite dimensional F algebra. We say A is a diagonalizable algebra if A≅Fn.

Lemma. Let T:V→V where V is a finite dimensional vector space. Then T is diagonalizable iff C[T] is diagonalizable.

Proof. The minimal polynomial of a T is separable. ◻

Lemma. Let T:V→V where V is a finite dimensional vector space over F. Then the minimal polynomial of T exists.

Proof. Define evT:F[x]→EndF(V) to be the evaluation map at T. If it is injection then EndF(V) contain F[x] as an infinite dimensional vector space, contradiction. The monic generator of the kernel of evT is the minimal polynomial. ◻

Proposition. Let T:V→V where V is a finite dimensional inner product space over C. Then T is diagonalizable if T is normal.

Remark. Huh, the minimal polynomial of a normal operator is separable. Galois! lol

Proof. We only need to prove that C[T] has no nilpotent elements. Since T is normal, we know that the smallest C∗ algebra containing T is C[T,T∗], which is a commutative algebra. By Gelfand duality, C[T,T∗] is isomorphic to C(X) for a compact Hausdorff space X. Since C(X) is a continuous function algebra, it has no nilpotent elements, hence C[T] as a subring of C(X) has no nilpotent elements.

Thus

C[T]≅C[x]/(mT(x))≅∏i=1kC[x]/(x−λi)≅Cn

By the above lemma, T is diagonalizable. ◻

Then using the fact that T is normal iff ∀v∈V,∥Tv∥=∥T∗v∥ hence ∥(T−λ)v∥=∥(T∗−λ―)v∥=0 if v is a eigenvector of T.

Then let λ,μ be two distinct eigenvectors of T,

(λ−μ)⟨v,w⟩=⟨λv,w⟩−⟨v,μ―w⟩=⟨Tv,w⟩−⟨v,T∗w⟩=0⟹λ=μ

We could choice orthogonal eigenvalue to diagnolize T.

Then using the fact that T is normal iff TT∗=T∗T, we can show that if v is an eigenvector of T, then it has special orthogonality properties.

Let v1,v2 be two eigenvectors of T corresponding to distinct eigenvalues λ1≠λ2. Then:

⟨Tv1,v2⟩=⟨v1,T∗v2⟩,λ1⟨v1,v2⟩=λ2―⟨v1,v2⟩

Since λ1≠λ2―, we have ⟨v1,v2⟩=0.

Therefore, we can choose orthogonal eigenvectors to diagonalize T unitarily.

Remark. Let T be C inner product space, then T is normal iff the smallest C∗ algebra containing T in EndC(V) is a commutative C∗ algebra.

Remark. Let A be any C∗ algebra, and T∈A. If TT∗=T∗T, then T is not nillpotent.

Remark. For the real case, T is normal implies R[T] is etale, T is self-adjoint implies R[T] is diagonalizable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts