Blog Archive

Monday, May 19, 2025

Functions with Compact Support and Algebraic Structures

 

Functions with Compact Support

Let G be a group and X a topological space. Then HomSet(X,G) is a group under pointwise multiplication:

(fg)(x)=f(x)g(x),f−1(x)=f(x)−1,e(x)=e.

Define

D(f)={x∈X:f(x)≠e},supp(f)=D(f)―.

Lemma 1. U∪V―=U―∪V―.

Proof. It is easy to see that

U―⊆K⟺U⊆i(K)

The closure operator (−)― is left adjoint to the inclusion of closed sets into all subsets, hence preserves unions (colimits). ◻

It follows that

supp(fg)=D(fg)―⊆D(f)∪D(g)―=supp(f)∪supp(g).

Lemma 2. The union of two compact subsets of X is compact.

Proof. If {Ui}i∈I covers U∪V, it covers each of U and V. By compactness extract finite subcovers for U and V, then take their union.
◻

Lemma 3. A closed subset of a compact space is compact.

Proof. If {Ui} covers F⊆K, then {X∖F}∪{Ui} covers K. Extract a finite subcover and discard X∖F.
◻

Corollary. If f,g have compact support then so does fg.

Proposition.

K={f∈HomSet(X,G):supp(f) is compact}

is a subgroup.

Proof. The constant map e has empty (hence compact) support. Closure under products follows from the corollary. For inverses note supp(f−1)=supp(f).
◻


Ring‐valued functions

If R is a ring, pointwise addition and multiplication make HomSet(X,R) into a ring. Defining D(f) and supp(f) as above, one shows:

  • supp(f+g)⊆supp(f)∪supp(g).

  • supp(fg)⊆supp(f)∩supp(g).

Hence

K={f:X→R:supp(f) is compact}

is an ideal, and if X itself is compact, a subring.


Module‐valued functions

If M is an R‐module then HomSet(X,M) is an R‐module pointwise, and

supp(f+g)⊆supp(f)∪supp(g),supp(rf)⊆supp(f).

Thus

K={f:X→M:supp(f) is compact}

is an R‐submodule.


Example: infinite coproduct

Let I be discrete. Then the only compact subsets of I are the finite ones, and we could construct the coproduct as:

⨁i∈IMi:={(xi)i∈I∈∏i∈IMi|(xi)i∈I has compact support}

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts