Blog Archive

Friday, July 19, 2024

Topological Ring and Ringed Space

 

Introduction

In mathematical analysis, given f,g∈C(R), we need to prove that f+g,f⋅g∈C(R) as well. But using epsilon-delta language means using some trick, and I do not want to use any trick. Let us generalize this question to HomTop(X,R) for arbitrary topological space X and topological ring R. Also, restricting the domain of the hom functor to Op(X)op will give us a sheaf of continuous functions over X, denoted as OX, and a ringed space (X,OX)​​.

Functor to Ring

Lemma. Let Y,Z be two topological spaces. Then the constant function ∀y∈Y,f(y)=z is continuous.

Proof. Let V⊆Z be an open set, then either z∈V or z∉V. If z∈V then f−1(V)=X. If z∉V then f−1(V)=∅. ◻

Let X be an arbitrary topological space and (R,+,⋅) a topological ring (Ring object in Top).

Proposition. HomTop(−,R) gives us a functor from Top to Ring.

Proof. We need to prove that 0,1∈HomTop(X,R), and for f,g∈HomTop(X,R), f+g,f⋅g∈HomTop(X,R).

It is easy to see that 0,1∈HomTop(X,R) since these are constant functions.

The universal property of the product R×R claims that (f,g):X→R×R is continuous, and by the definition of a topological ring, +,⋅:R×R→R are continuous as well.

Therefore, f+g,f⋅g are continuous since they are compositions of continuous functions. ◻

Now the Hom functor gives us a presheaf Opop(X)→Ring. The restriction maps are given by pullback i∗(f)=f∘i.

We denote HomTop(U,R) as F(U)​.

Sheaf and Ringed Space

Proposition. The presheaf given by the Hom functor is a sheaf.

Proof.

Let U⊆X be an open set and (Ui)i∈I be an open covering of U.

Let (fi)i∈I be a family of functions, with fi∈F(Ui), satisfying fi(Ui∩Uj)=fj(Ui∩Uj). Then there exists a unique function f∈F(U) such that resUiU(f)=fi.

This follows directly from the fact that (Ui)i∈I is an open covering of U. To see that f is continuous, let V be an open set in R and consider f−1(V):

(1)f−1(V)={x∈X:f(x)∈V}=⋃i∈I{x∈Ui:f(x)∈V}=⋃i∈I{x∈Ui:fi(x)∈V}=⋃i∈Ifi−1(V)

Hence, we get a ringed space (X,OX).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts