Blog Archive

Friday, April 19, 2024

Introduction to Weyl Algebra

 

Basic introduction to Weyl Algebra

The motivation we study Wely Algebra is for learning D−module, whcih is a way that use algebra method to solve linear differential equations. The basis example of Weyl Algebra is A1(C)=C[z,D], here D=ddx, whcih correspond the ode with polynomial coefficient. In general, nth-Well Algebra over a charatestic 0 field is defined as:

(1)An(K)=K[z1,...,zn,∂1,...,∂n]

We need a simple lemma to understand what happen next.

Remark. Some readers may oberseve the A1(C) looks like C[eλx,e−λx,D] appear at my work (PDF) ODE: An Algebraic Approach (researchgate.net). We see that eλx⋅D⋅e−λt=D−λ, which is really helpful for solving linear constant coefficient ode.

Lemma. Any ring R is a subring of EndAb(R). That is, there exists a embedding ι:R→EndAb(R).

Proof. ∀a,b∈R,ι(a)b:=ab. ι(a)(b+b′):=ab+ab′=ι(a)(b)+ι(a)(b′). ◻​

So, we should An(K)) as a subring of EndK−vect(K[z1,...,zn]). The product in Weyl Algebra is the composition of K−linear map, denote as ⋅​.

Definition. Lie bracket or commutator over a ring R is defined as [X,Y]=XY−YX for any X,Y∈R. It is a no-assotiative product over R.

It is easy to check that the commutator operator is bilinear(here the linear is Z−linear, since Ring≅Z−Alg). We will see why the bilinear property is important after we use tensor product to define algebra over a ring R​.

It is also obviously that [X,Y]=−[Y,X]​. The non trivial things is the Jacobi identity.

Proposition. Jacobi identity

(2)[X,[Y,Z]]+[Y,[Z,X]]+[Z,[X,Y]]=0

To remeber this, you could consider you have [−,[−,−]] and let C3 act on it, the sum of the elements equal to zero. Question: What is the connections between Lie bracket and 1+ω+ω2=0?

Jacobi identity should be viewed as a kind of Leibniz law. Let us consider ad:X⟼adX:=[X,−]

Since [X,[Y,Z]]+[Y,[Z,X]]+[Z,[X,Y]]=0⟹adX([Y,Z])=−[Y,[Z,X]]−[Z,[X,Y]]

i.e.

(3)adX([Y,Z])=−[Y,[Z,X]]−[Z,[X,Y]]=[Y,[X,Z]]+[[X,Y],Z]=[Y,adXZ]+[adXY,Z]

As we mentioned, [−,−] is a non-assotiative product, what if we consider A∗B:=[A,B]?

Then (3) will become adX(Y∗Z)=Y∗adXZ+adXY∗Z​! That is, Leibniz law!

Proof.

(4)[X,[Y,Z]]+[Y,[Z,X]]+[Z,[X,Y]]=X[Y,Z]−[Y,Z]X+Y[Z,X]−[Z,X]Y+Z[X,Y]−[X,Y]Z

Using the fact that [A,B]=−[B,A], we get

(5)X[Y,Z]+[Z,Y]X+Y[Z,X]+[X,Z]Y+Z[X,Y]+[Y,X]Z=XYZ−XZY+ZYX−YZX+YZX−YXZ+XZY−ZXY+ZXY−ZYX+YXZ−XYZ=0

Proposition. [∂i,zj]=δi,j:={1,i=j0,i≠j≠0.

Proof. By definition, we get that [∂i,zj]=∂i⋅zj−zj⋅∂i.

[∂i,zj]p(z)=(∂izj−zj∂i)p(z)=∂i(zjp(z))−zj(∂ip(z))=δijp(z)+zj∂ip(z)−zj∂ip(z)=δijp(z)◻

Corollary. An(K) is not a commutative ring, An(K)≅K[x1,...,xn,y1,...,yn]/⟨yixj−xjyi−δi,j⟩.

In general, we have:

(6)[∂I,zJ]={0,I≠JI!,I=J

Here I,J is multi-index. If I=(i1,i2,...,in), then ∂I=∂1i1,...,∂nin. The I!:=i1!...in!. The length of the multi-index is defined as α=∑k=1nik.

Well, using the fact that [∂i,zj]=δi,j we can write any element as the canonical form:

(7)D=∑i∈(I,J)zI∂J

That is, an polynomial coefficient differential operator.

For example, consider ∂12⋅z12. Observe that [∂12,z12]=2=∂12⋅z12−z12⋅∂12, hence ∂12⋅z12=2+z12⋅∂12.

Connections with differential equations.

Let us consider the ring of homomorphic functions on Ω⊆Cn, denote as H(Ω), which is a sheaf of ring.

Then there exists a natural way to define a An(C)−module structure on the sheaf H(Ω).

Each

(8)Df=g

Gives you a differential equation.

Now let us define another kind of algebra, motivate by my paper (PDF) ODE: An Algebraic Approach (researchgate.net) and Weyl Algebra.

Consider C[eλzi,∂1,...,∂n]. Here λ run over all the complex number.

Then

(9)[∂i,eλzj]={λezi,i=j0,i≠j

Hence we have

(10)∂i⋅eλzi−eλzi⋅∂i=λ⋅eλzi⟹∂i⋅eλzi−λ⋅eλzi=eλzi⋅∂i⟹(∂i−λ)⋅eλzi=eλzi⋅∂i

i.e.

(11)(∂i−λ)=eλzi⋅∂i⋅e−λzi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts