Blog Archive

Saturday, October 7, 2023

Differential Operator, a Categorical approach

The aim of this essay is give an interesting view for differential operator D.

Consider the Category DiffMan∗. i.e., the object is differential manifold with base point, the morphism is smooth function preserve the base point.

Then D can be viewed as a functor,

(1)D:DiffMan∗⟶VectF

Where F is R or C.

(2)D(Mp)=Tp(M),D(f)=Df(p)

Then the chain rule

(3)D(f∘g)=Df(q)∘Dg(p)

Is just the property of functor.

I am wondering is that D is the left adjoint of the inclusion functor I from Category of Rn (As vector space) to DiffMan∗?

i.e.

(4)HomRn(D(−),−)≅HomDiffMan∗(−,I(−))

But this is differential at the base point.

What if I want to discuss

(5)D:Cp+1(M)→Cp(N)

or

(6)d:Ωp(U)→Ωp+1(U)

?

Actually, there are Morphism of sheaf!

It is no hard to see that if you consider the funtor then you get an sheaf over M

(7)HompOp(M)(−,R):Op(M)→VectR

For convenient, denote this functor as OMp. p≥0 , and it could be ∞.

The reason we only consider the vector space structure Cp(U) is D is not a ring homomorphism.

(8)U⟼Cp(U),iVU⟼resUV

Denote the Category of Sheaves over M as Sh(M)

Then D is the morphism betweem sheaves. i.e. Natural Transformation.

(9)OMp+1(V)→DVOMp(V)resUV↓resUV↓OMp+1(U)→DUOMp(V)

Similarly, we could consider the sheaf of differential form.

(10)HompOp(M)(−,Altp(Rn)):Op(M)→VectR

For convinience, denote this funcotr as ΩMp.

The element of ΩMP(U) is smooth function ω:U→Altp(Rn).

For example,

(11)ω=(3xy)dx∧dy−yzdy∧dz

Then

(12)ΩMp(V)→dVΩMp+1(V)resUV↓resUV↓ΩMp(U)→dUΩp+1M(U)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts